Seismic Retrofit / Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings
After repeated earthquakes in California and around the world, several lessons have been learned and, therefore, design codes have been modified in order to improve the building performance during a major earthquake. The resulting benefit is the reduction of lost life and property. Most buildings constructed prior to the 1960’s lack an adequate system that can resist a major earthquake. Current codes mandate that some types of buildings, such as Unreinforced Masonry (URM) wall structures, be seismically retrofitted regardless of their current condition or use. The codes also mandate owners of existing buildings to seismically evaluate and upgrade their buildings in the case that any new addition, remodel, or change of use is proposed. There are several techniques of retrofit and upgrade that can significantly enhance the performance of an existing building during a major earthquake event.
Our engineers are well qualified to assist you in evaluating your building and in selecting the appropriate retrofit system that best fits your building condition and budget. Their qualifications include the highest engineering degrees and licenses in the nation in addition to a long list of practical experience through numerous projects.
Recent related projects
- Seismic evaluation, remodel, and upgrade of existing 2 story Reinforced Concrete office building located at 2154 w. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, California (in design).
- Seismic evaluation and retrofit of existing church constructed with URM walls located at 9022 Compton Avenue, Los Angeles, California (in permit process).
- Seismic evaluation and retrofit of three existing commercial buildings constructed with Concrete Masonry Unit (CMU) walls and wood roofs located at Winona Avenue, Burbank, California. (recently permitted).
- Seismic evaluation and upgrade of a large commercial CMU building with wood diaphragm located at 11248 Playa Court, Culver City, California.
- Complete remodel and upgrade of URM – 5 story building located at 626 S. Alvarado Blvd., Los Angeles, California (in construction).
- Investigation of existing mezzanine level in a multi-story steel structure due to change in use located at 9107 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, California
Our structural inspection service will get you answers and peace of mind.
More info here
in our office or over the phone, for any project.
Tel: (310) 553-9339
Fax: (310) 284-7927
1950 Sawtelle Blvd Ste 175
Los Angeles, CA 90035